Background

Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Favorite Mascaras, 7 Day Green Thickie Challenge, and PopSugar Must Have Box


Isn't my face AMAZING in that still? ;D 

P.S. Sorry about the audio! I'm using a new camera and I guess it's too sensitive.

Mascara:
L'Oreal Voluminous Original, Blackest Black
NYX Doll Eye Mascara, Extreme Black

7 Day Green Thickie Challenge: http://www.greenthickies.com/7-day-green-smoothie-challenge/

PopSugar Must Have Box: http://popsu.gr/tuSh

Get $5 off if you want to try it! Use my code: REFER5
Note: I am not getting paid to talk about this - PopSugar never sent this to me and asked me to review, or anything. I saw it somewhere online and thought it was cool, so thought I'd give it a try. It's super fun! I just extended my subscription for 6 months. :)

Hey guys! Gonna be a bit of a longer post today, since I figured I'd go more in-depth in my blog here rather than ramble on in the video (any more than I already did, at least.) 

My favorite mascaras are both affordable, drug store mascaras. They're nothing new, but they are amazing. I think the last 3-4 times I've had to replace my mascara, I've gotten these two. I like to alternate between them day to day (for no particular reason; I'm just weird, I suppose.) My lashes consistently look awesome with both of them, so I'm hooked.

The 7 Day Green Thickie Challenge! Okay, I know the challenge is from back in 2012, but I'm doing it. And I'm not just doing one a day, I'm doing 3 a day. In order to build up to it, I've been having one a day. I've already started detoxing from it, in addition to already losing 4 pounds (!) and eating clean this week. I'll start next week, on Tuesday, after my boyfriend's birthday....because, let's face it, no birthday is going to be complete without a cheat day with brewskis and unhealthy food, AMIRITE? HIGH FIVE NOTHIN' BETTER!



So anyway, I'll be starting this Tuesday. Feel free to try it or do it with me! They're pretty good, despite the initially terrifying green color. I'm sure you're wondering, "Kim? Why a green smoothie detox? Why not juice, or take pills, or do something else?" 

Here's why. I used to be pretty thin. I was maybe 3 lbs away from the healthy weight that my body type and BMI is supposed to have. I had been overweight pretty much my whole life; I have a massive sweet tooth and very low self control. You do the math. I began working at a health store, and when you get an employee discount on health food, vitamins, and protein powder, and then you get surrounded every day by incredibly fit people, you start picking up some stuff. And I thought, "This is going to change." I began taking some vitamins, working out every day, and I lost 20-30lbs. I looked and felt amazing. Most of how I fueled my body during that point in time was via power smoothies (which is, essentially, what a "green thickie" is - only green thickies are even healthier).

Then I got sick, was prescribed the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin, and my tendons were destroyed. The hospital I went to - because I was hospitalized for one of the most severe infections the hospital had seen - didn't check to see if my current medications would interact with the antibiotic. I remember calling, partway through the course of the antibiotics, and telling them my legs hurt - which was a major sign that something was wrong with that drug, and they are supposed to warn you about it - and the doctor told me to keep taking it.

What happened to me is pretty common - it's known as "getting floxed." Google it - you'll be shocked. At any rate, the Ciprofloxacin basically dissolved the tendons in both of my legs. I could barely stand up, let alone walk or move around. I would stand up from my desk only to fall down to the ground, since my legs wouldn't support me. I had to literally crawl up stairs since my legs gave out.

Fortunately, my body managed to purge most of the Ciprofloxacin toxins and I slowly regained the ability to walk again, though I am not fully better. If I have a long day where I'm on my feet a lot, my tendons start vibrating painfully, and I pull them easily. It has taken over 3 years. I can no longer run or do yoga, to my sorrow - as I discovered when I made an attempt to start running again (I miss it so much) and un-did all of the progress I had made with my tendons. As a result of being physically unable to do anything active enough to keep the weight off, I gained all of my weight back. Like, even more than I had lost originally. I currently need to lose 60 lbs in order to get back to a healthy weight. 

So, what does all of this mean when it came to me picking a detox cleanse?
  1. I wanted a cleanse that would be filling. Green smoothies are incredibly nutritious and will ensure that I get nothing but healthy, clean food, and will kill my cravings.
  2. I lost weight previously using power smoothies and have never tried it again. I figured why fix what ain't broke? I'll give it a try. And, like I said - I've only had one a day so far and I've lost 4 lbs already!
  3. I wanted a full detoxing cleanse. I'm hoping that the rest of the Cipro toxins in my body will be fully purged by shocking my system with this change in food. There won't be any chemicals being introduced to my body, so some major purging is going to take place. I've already started detoxing and can't wait to see how I feel when it's all done.
  4. Green smoothies are delicious. Seriously, they are. You can't even taste the "green" part, and you can make so many different flavors. There are even chocolate and cookie dough "dessert" thickies you can try!
http://www.greenthickies.com/two-for-one-chocolate-avocado-smoothiepudding/

So here we go! Let me know if you decide to do the Green Thickie Detox Challenge and we can cheer each other on!

TIP: If you need to be able to transport your smoothie to work/school for lunch, just make them the night before and freeze them in your container of choice. You can use mason jars or you can use smoothie cups - I have some smoothie cups with lids from a small, individual size blender set I own that I use. Take them out of the freezer in the morning when you get up/leave for work and they'll be fully defrosted and still cold by lunch!

In other news, I'm going to go paddleboarding soon, for the first time, which will be awesome! That means I have to get a rash guard...hmmm....I wonder if they'd have those at TJ Maxx? 

Until next time, guys!

Cheers,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment